This is a very common Indian dish that is easily adjusted to fit your taste and texture preferences. Firm tofu could be used instead of chicken if you want a vegetarian recipe. This dish pairs perfectly with Raitha (an Indian side dish) and a hardboiled egg. Each serving has 20 grams of protein and 2 grams of fiber!
- Pour rice in a bowl and cover with water.
- Set to the side and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
- Add olive oil to skillet and turn on low heat.
- Add cinnamon stick, cloves, and Bay leaf.
- Cook for about a minute, stirring.
- Add onion, tomato, ginger, and garlic.
- Once tender and mushy, add mustard powder, salt, chili powder, mint, cilantro, cardamom, and coriander.
- Cook another minute or two to blend the flavors together, stirring.
- Add in the chicken.
- Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the water off the rice and add 2 cups of fresh water.
- Pour the water and rice in with the chicken mixture.
- Simmer covered until the water is all absorbed.
- Stir and check on rice every few minutes.
- Once all the water is gone, the dish is done.